Monday, January 28, 2013

Smokin' in the Backyard

It's still cold, and raining a bit. The ground is moist and winter sun patterns mean that a lot of the backyard never sees direct sun this time of year. I have a system of changing shoes and using towels and mats to keep mud out of the house, but it's a constant fight.

Here's something - one thing I find offensive is the idea that there is a "barbecue season." I went into a store a couple of years ago in December looking for lighter fluid. It was a major pharmacy chain whose initials are RA, so I figured they would have what I needed. When I could not find any lighter fluid or charcoal, I was told they only carry those things during "BBQ season."

I left and thought to myself, BBQ season? When is that?


I love cooking outdoors and once the rain stops and the sunny crisp days of January set in, I like to sit outside next to the smoker or BBQ and take my time cooking things like smoked salmon, tri-tip and pork ribs.
 This year, Julie's dad gave us this Brinkman smoker, which I have yet to modify, but still worked pretty well on test runs.  This tri-tip was slow marinated and cooked low and slow with hickory and mesquite chips.
This was the weekend before, when I did country style pork ribs and smoked salmon.  Need to work a little more on the techniques and make some modifications which should help.  For one, putting the legs on the outside instead of the inside should give me better access to the coals when they need adjustment.

Also, there is a charcoal/wood pan which does not have any holes in it.  The fire puts itself out after a short period of time.  I'm going to drill several holes in the pan for ventilation.  That along with easier access should allow for better temperature control.

This probe thermometer works really well for roasts. With this, I don't have to take the lid off and let the heat out to check doneness.  And there is an alarm to tell you when it's at the target temp.
I need to buy and install a better temperature gauge, maybe two.  One for the lid area where the top grill is located and one for the middle of the barrel, where the other grill is located. The one that comes on it tells you absolutely nothing useful.

BBQ season? Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment